Sunday, September 7, 2014

Crafty Freaks #5


I nearly didn't make it in time for this weeks Crafty Freaks! With the end of the year looming and the pressure to get stock made for Xmas starting it's getting harder to get these done in time. I even did a quick thing I can use for #6 today in case I don't get anything else done!

I've done quite a bit of macrame in the last year or so and have been wanting to make a cotton one I could dye for a while. This is my first attempt and while not very original it was good to cross it off my to do list...












Saturday, August 23, 2014

Crafty Freaks #4



The Crafty Freaks project has been a great impetus to get some things done that I've been wanting to do for ages. This week I tackled some basic upholstery! I had recovered this stool about 15 years ago and it was starting to look pretty tatty...




I have a huge pile of tapestries so I sewed them together - voila!!!




























Friday, August 8, 2014

Crafty Freaks #3


Phew! I nearly didn't get this one done in time! I was a bit stumped this week on what to do and subsequently left it until the last minute.

In December last year (yes, LAST year) a friend  asked me if i would fix a ring of hers that was coming apart. The thread had worn through and needed to be re-woven so I bought some wax thread and gave it a go! My first attempt was a bit crappy so I left it sitting in a bowl tormenting me to finish it....

Done...




Sunday, July 27, 2014

Crafty Freaks #2





For my second project in the Crafty Freaks challenge I picked something that I've had in my mind to do for over a year. I saw these gorgeous jelly mould planters from Angus & Celeste and then kept seeing the white metal originals at the op shop. I've collected quite a few now with the view to making them into planters and I've finally done it! The first one I attached a metal chain to but for the next one I used black blind cord for a more modern look. Now all I have to do is find somewhere to hang them...













Friday, July 11, 2014

Crafty Freaks #1


Phew! I finished my first project for the Crafty Freaks challenge over at Little Minx.

I knew I wanted to do something with the rope I had left over from the macrame hangers I made last year.



Being a hoarder it felt like such a waste to throw it all away!

I played around with a few different ways of joining the rope together with crochet to make a bowl but for some reason I was getting shooting pains up my arms! I then decided to see if I could sew them together with a large needle and some heavy thread. This is what I came up with....a mat




It measures 85cm across and is made of  9mm heavy duty rope.








(The underside)

My daughter loves it and has requested it for her room where it will get lost under a pile of clothes etc....

It would look great made in a solid colour or done in patterns. You could also make it in different shapes by not starting with a circular coil. I'm thinking of making a black elliptical shaped one for my front door!

Now I have 2 weeks to come up with my next project....

It's not too late to join, so if you'd like to pop over to Little Minx and sign up!





Sunday, July 6, 2014

A Challenge.......









Yes, I know I haven't been here for a couple of months! But I'm back with something that should see me coming back every 2 weeks!

My lovely friend Joanna over at Little Minx is running a challenge on her blog called Crafty Freaks.
The idea is to get the creative juices flowing by making a new crafty project every 2 weeks for a whole year. Quite a challenge but one that has the potential to re-energize! The projects are due every two weeks (uploaded to the Pinterest page) with the first one being due Friday July 12th. (You can see I'm behind already as I was going to post this last week!)

If you're keen to participate, head over to the Crafty Freaks page and sign up!






Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Macrame...


 
About 6 months ago I was approached to make some macrame hangers for a display at a local mall. They needed something large and eyecatching so after a few days playing around with some rope I made came up with this design. It was exciting last week to see them finally up!